Sunbrella Upholstery Care and Cleaning
Upholstery Care and Cleaning
One of the best ways to keep Sunbrella® fabrics looking good is to brush off dirt before it becomes embedded in the fabrics and wipe up spills or clean soon after a spill occurs. The quicker you clean spills, the easier they can be to remove.
Try this first... With a new spill on your Sunbrella fabric.
• Blot (don’t rub) liquid spills with a clean, dry cloth. For oil-based spills, apply
an absorbent such as corn starch, then remove with a straight edge.
• Spray on a mild cleaning solution of soap (such as Dawn® or Woolite®) and water.
• Rinse the fabric thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
• Air dry.
Try this next... If your first try doesn’t get the spill completely out.
Though Sunbrella fabrics can be used both outdoors and in, your cleaning methods should differ slightly indoors and out because of the fabrication and manufacturing of the furniture.
We recommend using the appropriate cleaning instructions for your application.
• Apply a light mist of mild soap and water using a spray bottle.
• Work the solution into the spill by lightly agitating the entire surface area of the fabric,
moving from seam to seam, with a sponge or very soft bristle brush. Avoid scrubbing,
and do not use a hard bristled brush or anything that will abrade the fabric.
• Rinse the entire fabric thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
• Blot excess moisture with a clean, soft towel or sponge.
• Blot or wet-vacuum excess water from the entire surface area of the fabric, moving from seam to seam.
• Air dry. Repeat rinsing and blotting until all soap residue is removed.
Professional Cleaners: Inquire about a firm’s experience working with Sunbrella fabrics and knowledge of cleaning and re-treatment requirements.
Machine Washing: Some removable casings can be washed in the washing machine, however consult the furniture manufacturer before removing the casing as cushion construction may vary. To wash, first close all zippers. Machine wash in cold water on the delicate cycle with normal amounts of mild laundry detergent. Allow fabric to air dry.
Seam-To-Seam Cleaning: When cleaning upholstered pieces, clean the entire surface area of the fabric, from seam to seam, instead of rubbing the fabric in a circular motion on the spill. This method, along with an extractor, may be required in order to avoid water rings and residue.
Oil-Based Spills: Immediately apply an absorbent such as corn starch directly on the oil-based spill. Let sit for 10 minutes and remove the excess using a straight edge or ruler. This helps remove the spill and prevents it from being pressed into the fabric. Then proceed with the cleaning process.
For other spills: products such as 303® Multi-Surface Cleaner, Dawn®, or Resolve® are applicable. Specific information on spill cleaning is available at sunbrella.com/cleaningguide